top of page


Get or Replace Your Vital Records

Replace Lost or Stolen Identification (ID) Cards

State-issued Identification

Driver's License Department - 620-549-3508

209 North Broadway, St. John, Kansas 67576

 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday

If your driver's license or state-issued identification (ID) card was recently lost or stolen, contact your state motor vehicle agency.

When requesting a state ID, you may need to provide other forms of ID that contain your photo, full name, and date of birth. Contact your state motor vehicle agency to find out what you need to bring with you to prove your identity.

Social Security Cards

Social Security Office - 1-877-846-8333


If your Social Security card was lost or stolen, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to request a replacement card.

Medicare ID Cards

The SSA can also help you replace a lost or stolen Medicare card.

Medicaid ID Cards

To replace a lost or stolen Medicaid card, please contact your state Medicaid office.

U.S. Passports

If your passport was lost or stolen, you must report the loss or theft immediately. Find out how to report a lost or stolen passport and get a replacement.

Permanent Resident (Green) Cards

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) can help you replace a lost or stolen permanent resident (green) card.

Federal Employee ID Cards (Smart Cards)

The government agency that you work for can help you replace your Smart Card.

U.S. Military ID Cards

Learn how to report a lost or stolen military ID card and how to get a replacement.

Vital Records Documents Issued in the United States

Vital records documents consist of birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates. State government vital records offices issue these documents. To get a copy of a vital record document, contact the vital records office in the state where the event occurred.

How to Replace Your Lost or Destroyed Vital Documents 

Replacing all vital documents that were lost or destroyed in a flood, fire, or other disaster can be overwhelming. Although the process varies state to state, these general steps can help you get started.

  1. Replace your birth certificateFind the vital records office in the state where you were born. Check to find out if you can obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate without any identification and follow the instructions. A few states don’t require a government-issued photo ID, or accept other solutions like a sworn statement of your identity. Some states allow your mother or father whose name is on the birth certificate to submit a notarized letter with a copy of their photo ID. If you do need your own government-issued photo ID to get a copy of your birth certificate, start with step 2.

  2. Replace your driver’s license. Get this first if you cannot get your birth certificate. This task varies state to state. In some states, you can do it online.

  3. Replace your marriage certificate. You’ll need a certified copy as proof if you changed your name when you got married. Contact the vital records office in the state where you were married.

  4. Replace your Social Security card. You will need a government-issued photo ID. Getting a replacement card is free. 

  5. Replace your passport. Report your lost or destroyed passport to the Department of State. To apply for a new passport, you’ll need to fill out a form DS-11 and go to a passport acceptance facility or agency. You’ll need your birth certificate or a certified copy, and a government-issued photo ID.

  6. Replace other important documents. Your state or local election office can tell you how to replace your voter registration card. Contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to find out how to replace naturalization or citizenship documents. Learn how to replace other documents including Medicare and Medicaid cards and military and federal employee IDs.

Government agencies usually mail replacement vital documents. But if your home was destroyed in a disaster, you might not be able to get your mail. Contact your local post office and ask if you can pick up your mail there or request to have your mail forwarded to a temporary location.

bottom of page